Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Carnival!

I just got back from Carnival weekend, what a blast! I went with my family to their vacation home in the city of Yunguilla (pronounced: yoon-gia). They kept telling me we were going to Yunguilla, which didn’t mean a thing to me, and all I could think of was yogi-bear. (This is for you, Sarah Bohl. “I can’t believe we’re at yogi bear!) Well, it turned out to be nothing like the yogi-bear park I was picturing, but I would take Yungilla over any animated-character-themed-park any day. Minus, of course, the nerve-racking, RECKLESS driving that occurs on the dangerously narrow and unkempt roads through the mountains, it was a very beautiful drive. Again, I will say, I LOVE the mountains. There is just something awesome, humbling, and reverent about seeing layers of enormous mounds—if you will, of earth, both above and below you as far as you can see. It’s as if the tips of the earth are reaching up towards the sky, embracing the clouds which so dependably replenish the foliage that thrives on their peaks. It is seeing this small part of Creation that causes me to worship. How awesome a God, who thought of such spectacular formations.

When we arrived at the house, early Saturday afternoon, I was promptly greeted by the LARGEST animal in the canine family I have EVER seen. This dog was no joke, the size of a small horse. Yikes! I was then introduced to the rest of the family. It was like an entire family reunion! Grandma, great aunt and uncle, aunt, uncles, and cousins galore…plus, Claire! (Claire is another Taylor student who is staying with the sister of my host-dad) It was so nice to have her there this weekend. As relaxing as it was, it is so surprisingly exhausting to try to engage in conversations and such when it is such a struggle to understand simple words. Also, all the cousins seemed to pair off with their respective, similar-aged “buds” so many times we simply entertained ourselves.

Like I said, it really was a very relaxing weekend. Lots of good food, reading, chatting, sleeping, playing board games, sitting on the patio enjoying the scenery. Oh, and of course there was some “playing” of Carnival and swimming in the pool, but unfortunately, it was fairly chilly all four days we were there, and it rained more than usual. I only did go swimming once, which was freeeeezzing, but the squirt guns and colored/scented spray-foam were active almost all waking hours. The last day was the climax of all the Carnival battles I participated in. It began with my host sister, Carolina, and Claire’s host sister, Gabi, mischievously squirting us with water guns and running away giggling. It quickly escalated to an all out war-zone with water balloons flying through the air, entire buckets of water being dumped from strategic spots behind corners, and then finally pushing each other into the pool (fully clothed I might add).

To be continued… (I have to go home now, I will write more tomorrow.)

We had our first Spanish class today though! Yey!

Ok.

Mucho amor,

Lindsay

No comments: