Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It’s not about me.

I can see it very clearly now, a simple post-it note that was strategically placed above my roommate’s (I LOVE YOU SARA MARIA ROW-AHM BAILEY) computer screen. That’s what it said, “It’s not about me.” A nice sentiment and reminder of our status as the hands and feet of a much greater plan by the Almighty God we serve, alas it never meant as much to me as it does now.

A few events contributed to my new found revelation. First, it was brought up in prayer last week during our Taylor student Bible study, just the idea of being open to God’s workings and not our own agendas. And again, yesterday, we had a devotional with Bob C., one of the pastors/elders at Verbo Church. He talked about being aware of what God was doing with and through this experience, and that we should look at this opportunity (studying in Cuenca) as part of the process of God’s growth in us and not just an event in the span of our lives. It really hit home for me that God was doing much more than I could see or understand. It became clear that my being here was a lot more than just me learning some Spanish, maybe some lessons in patience, and living out of my comfort zone. God is using me in ways that I don’t even know and probably won’t ever know this side of heaven. With that said, the same must then apply to others. The other students I’m here with, our professors, all those coordinating things for us, those working for the church, all the members of the church, our host families…you! Our lives are not made up of separate EVENTS. No, our lives are part of a very deliberate, intricate, inter-connecting story that began at the beginning of time and will continue to be written for the ultimate honor of our King, the One who planned and created us to show His love.

That is amazing.

Each of us is important, but the bigger picture is just that, SO MUCH BIGGER! It’s not about me. It’s not about me being in Cuenca, or studying biology, or studying Spanish. And just for the record, it’s not about you either. We don’t even know about it. (Yeah, Gerig Hall verse!)

“Look at the nations and watch—
and be utterly amazed.
For I am going to do something in your days
that you would not believe,
even if you were told.” Habakkuk 1:5

On that note, I’m sure you all are dieing to know what I have been up to.

Well, let’s see. I’ll keep it in chronological order for logic’s sake. Last Thursday, at approximately 6:45 am (which by the way, is a mere 10 minutes AFTER I leave the house in the morning, so I did not get to watch…grr.), our number of household dogs increased 300%. Coky, the mother, gave birth to 6 beautiful, adorable, PERFECT Doxon puppies. They are so cute! Which reminds me, my host family has picked up from the several students they’ve hosted, the fact that we Americans really like the phrase “So cute.” It’s hilarious to hear them saying it all the time, but I decided to add a little of my own Minnesotan flare to their Spanish speaking tongues. I explained to them, that in Minnesota, our O’s and A’s are a little more…pronounced. So using the phrase “so cute,” I demonstrated. Soooooh cuuuaate! It’s too much…I wish you all could hear them. In short, the puppies are so cute.

Ok, then on Friday, after class we had our group bible study, and then I went with Claire, who needed a few things, to the big grocery store in town. This is only noteworthy, because the grocery store is called the SUPERMAXI. Haha. No one here thinks it’s a funny name. But come on. Supermaxi…It just has to make you giggle.

Friday still, I started studying, because we had our first physiology test yesterday. Later that night, we had a family gathering in honor of my host-grandma’s birthday. That was pretty fun, and we ate some interesting, but delicious pineapple cake. I was pretty tired though. Saturday, I studied most of the morning, and then we had Heather Sommer and her husband over for lunch! Heather is the director of off-campus studies at Taylor, and is visiting this week to do some business for future trips. Sunday was mostly spent going to church, and studying (the body is a complicated thing!). I got together with a few of the other Taylor-ites to study that evening. We ate peanut butter (most Ecuadorians don’t like it, how weird is THAT???) and laughed a ton, but we actually did retain a few things. Very relieving, the test was not that bad. It’s so weird that after one 10-point, 10-question test, I have already been given 1/5 of the points I will receive for the entire class. Crazy.

Anyway, after class, we came to the church with Heather, had a group devotional, and were then distributed gifts from far off lands. I was given my very own LAPTOP CHARGE CORD, which I so mindless left sitting on a shelf the morning I left Taylor, and a beautiful card from that girl that lives in the same room as me (thanks babe!). Afterwards, we went with Heather and her husband for lunch at a delicious Italian restaurant down the street. I love lasagna. And THENNN a few of us, made the very dangerous discovery of an awesome heladoria (ice cream store) that is not too far from the church and actually on my way home. The ice cream is great, and you can get a cone, with whip cream and topping for a mere 65 cents!

Last night, I didn’t feel like doing ANY homework. I spent awhile just talking with my host mom about classes, life, and God, and then I hung out with my host sister and we watched our favorite show, Patito Feo!

I hope you are all doing well; I’m missing home a bit. I want to skype but I only use the internet in the mornings, after class…I do want to talk to some people soon though. Calling on cell phone is cheep, but I don’t know when people are around. Let me know when a good time to call is!

With love,

Lindsay

1 comment:

anne kvinge said...

Debo estar escribiendo un ensayo para mi clase de español, así escribiré esto en el español para practicar. Y tu cerebro debe leer TODO el español que puedes encontrar, para práctica también.

Primero, LLAMAME POR FAVOR! Hay una diferencia de horas? Puedes llamar en la noche, cualquier día, porque tengo clases y trabajo durante el día. Me gusta leer sus BLOGS, pero me ENCANTARíA oir sus cuentos directamente de tu boca.

Estoy tan orgullosa de ti y su coraje para ir a Ecuador y experimentar situaciones posiblemente difíciles, nuevos (claro), estresantes...y mucho más. Tengo miedo cuando pienso de mi viaje a otro país el próximo año, pero después de leer sus experiencias, estoy consolada. Y tienes razón, todo es una parte de un plan más grande. No debemos preocupar.

Te amo muchísimo, ten un día maravilloso!