Monday, March 10, 2008

A lot of stuff

Good Morning and happy Monday!

We started our classes with the other Cuencan students this morning, how exciting! The class actually starts a half hour BEFORE our class started earlier, so I got up EXTRA early today. Anyway, it was quite a shock when we showed up and ALL the other students were already there. I was expecting a much smaller class size, as it is a Medical school, but it was by FAR the biggest class I’ve ever been in. I bet there’s about 50 students (for all you state-schoolers out there…its big for us J ) What made it even more shocking was the BLATENT stares from EVERY person in the room as we sheepishly walked towards the back of the room to the few empty desks. If it wasn’t obviously already that, yes, we are GRINGOS, as the professor took role and each student stood up as they’re names so smoothly rolled off his tongue, when he reached my name, it became ever more apparent that we were the odd ones out. Besides the fact that all Latinos have mile-long names (first name, middle name, other middle name, last name, other last name, etc.), my name sounded like marbles in the mouth of the professor. “BOL, LIN-SAY ANN!” I stood, with a self-conscious smirk and giggle of discomfort as EVERYONE turned to look at pale, blonde-haired girl in the back of the room. Yep. It was a funny experience. Walking down the street, and especially on the bus, we’ve had lots of stares, but today was the first time I’ve felt THAT singled out. Later, Dr. Toral explained that we were students studying abroad…yadda yadda.

Ok. What else. First of all, I felt like I should share something I learned at house church the other week. What is almost as cool as WHAT I learned is the fact that I actually LEARNED it. I really am learning Spanish! In no way am I even close to being an awesome speaker, (funny note- it’s always really evident when I’m tired because I forget words and other verb tenses, so I end up talking like I’m a 2-year-old) nor am I able to understand all people (some people just talk so FAST!), but I’m learning! So anyway, praise God that he spoke to me, EN ESPANOL, and that through that, I was given a little clearer picture of our Savior.

The message given at house church that week was centered around slavery. The leader read the verses in Exodus that describe the Israelites being led out of slavery by Moses and talked about what a big deal that was for them. They were ACTUALLY slaves. They were held captive, in Egypt, and were forced to work under less-than-humane conditions, and one day, God rose up Moses who he used to lead them out of that. How awesome! Then, he related that situation to our lives. We, humans, are enslaved by sin. Whether or not we are aware of the suffering we are experiencing, we are slaves to our actions and worldly desires. Then—this is what was enlightening to me—the picture that the leader drew for everyone was a garbage heap. Perhaps it hit home for me, because South America, despite its beauty, is a place with much garbage and pollution. Anyway, the leader described us all having “garbage heaps,” piles of ugliness in our lives. He said that everyday we just add to our pile of garbage, and that we carry that pile on our backs. BUT, Romans 6:6-7 says,

“For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin—because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.”

If we “die” to ourselves, by giving our lives to God, Jesus takes away our status as slaves; he lifts our piles of garbage off our backs and therefore freedom to live to Him. It was so vivid to me, picturing myself walking around with a mountainous heap of garbage and having Jesus, by His grace alone, lift that pile from my back. Just having that new picture, a garbage heap nonetheless, was a blessing and a new understanding of the God I know and love.

Speaking of garbage, fall semester (and unofficially last year as well…J) I resided in Trash Suite (the actual name of the suite in my dorm). I really love trash suite. The cell-phone reception is good, we can see the sunrise, the trash cans are near-by, what’s not to love? Not to mention, girls in trash suite are AWESOME (sorry to all the non-trash people out there, I love you too) At any rate, I would like to say that I would love to live in Trash again, but that next year will be a bit different. As many of you know already, I am going to be PA next year! Yeyyyyyy I’m so pumped! Hold on, don’t get your undies in a bundle. If you don’t speak Taylor, P.A. is actually the same thing as R.A. just with a cooler name (Personnel Assistant—not PERSONAL assistant…personnEL. Ok.) I just wanted to share with you the excitement and get my 3G-ers pumped for what will probably be the best year of their lives thus far—ok, not really. I mean, I hope it is, but it probably won’t be on my account. Haha. I really am very excited about though! Cool!

Ok. So remember when I told you I was sick? And that I was feeling better? I wasn’t lying when I said I was BETTER, because I really do feel better than I did last weekend, but I still don’t feel GOOD, as compared to feeling normal/best. I still have a wicked cough especially when I laugh (I sound like a smoker of 30+ years) and my nose runs like its being chased by rabid wildebeests. I have a lot of pressure in my nose that spreads up my head causing frequent headaches and dizziness. I talked to my mom yesterday who thinks I might have a sinus infection. I think I might go to the doctor today. Soooo…please keep my health in prayer because being sick is no fun. And who would want to be sick when they’re….

GOING TO THE GALAPAGOS!!! We’re leaving Friday morning!!!!!!!! I am so pumped for this week! We have our final for physiology on Wednesday. Remember, we had basically the whole course in English the first month, and now, the real university classes are starting, and we are taking essentially the same course, but in Spanish. This weekend, I ACTUALLY FINSIHED reading the text book! Seven hundred and twenty-one pages later I can actually say that it was a very well written book that I enjoyed reading it (most of the time). I can also say that the human body still AMAZES me. It’s so complex! I mean, I just read hundreds of pages and spent hours in lectures learning all about how our bodies function, and yet, honestly, I don’t understand the half of it. I know some names of hormones and enzymes, and I know that cells use sodium and potassium to create action potentials, but that’s a whole lot of hand waving and simplified explanations of things even some of the most intelligent scientists don’t completely understand. I think EVERYONE should take a course in physiology. It’s an eye-opening experience. (Ok, I know physiology isn’t for everyone, but seriously, if it doesn’t interest you a little bit, something is wrong with you….ok, just kidding again.)

Am I good at making rabbit trails, or what???

I was saying…that we’re taking our final on Wednesday, and then we also have our first Spanish test on Thursday, but then we’re off to visit Quito (the capital of Ecuador) and the Galapagos Islands! We’re flying to Quito and going to spend about 2 days there, and then we’ll fly from there to the Galapagos! I’m told there are some of the most beautiful reefs and animal life on and around the islands. I’m so excited! My camera is excited too. It can’t wait to capture some of the beauty we’ve been hearing about for so long.

Also, my host mom, Maria, is going with us! They can only send one person as a chaperon/guide with us because it’s pretty expensive, and this time, she was the one! I’m really excited though. She keeps saying how much fun she thinks our group is, which just makes it all the more fun. At first, I didn’t really understand her personality very well. She comes off a little feisty, but she’s really opening up to me, and she really is a lot of fun. So, I’m excited that she’s coming!

If that’s not exciting enough…when we return from our little spring break trip, the very next day Dr. and Mrs. Moore will be arriving, as well as, my MOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! My mommy’s coming!!!!!! YEYEYEYEYEYEYYYEYEYEYEYY!!! That’s all I have to say, AWESOME.

I did it again. I wrote about a bagillion words of nothing. Well, not nothing. I mean this is functioning as a journal for me, which is why I’m having so much fun writing it. Plus, some of you guys keep telling me how much you like reading it. So, I guess I will continue to write for both of our sakes.

I don’t know how much time I will have in the next few days to write before I’m off on some quality adventures. So, keep the emails coming! And until later, peace be with you.

~Lindsay

No comments: